Saturday, June 16, 2012

Subsidy..




Even though I am quietly avoiding Nigerian politics and corruption so I can have peace of mind for the time being. Some things you just cant ignore, like this subsidy probe.

Gone are the days when corruption charges were in millions, now we're are talking trillions, I dont even know how many zeros that is. At this rate we may have to start using 'quadrillions' and 'quintillions'.

As funny as it may sound, I find it hard to even focus my anger these days, coz there are thousand and one things to be angry about..

This morning I read a facebook status message and I quote-


"Jonathan is not your problem. Is it GEJ that is working in our telecommunication sectors?Is it GEJ that collected the bribe?Is it GEJ that is boko haram?Is it GEJ that is working at PHCN?Is it GEJ that crashed the plane?Is it GEJ that is the contractor doing the various projects in this country?Is it GEJ that is working in our refineries and oil sectors?Is it GEJ that is importing fuel into this country?"


Then I had twitter conversation that followed:

PDP is Nigeria's only hope

Me: No comment

:D just warming up for 2015

Me: its no longer a game, it peoples' lives and future at stake

but i really believe Im right and you're wrong

Me: how many times do we have to prove you wrong

My candidates get elected and you get to see their faults, yours are usually on the side lines saying -if it were me 


If we still live amidst people that think 'Jonathan is not your problem' or 'PDP is Nigeria's ONLY hope', is there even hope at all?


SIGH.


So on the Subsidy and bribery allegation, here is my take:

Faruk Lawan may or may not have collected the bribe. But in my opinion, he is innocent, not in the bribery allegation, but innocent and almost ignorant to have thought he would rock the best of both worlds. He would take the bribe but not let the bribery affect the outcome, win-win!

Unfortunately he didn't know he was playing against the 'home team'. Otedola may have forced the bribe into Faruk Lawan's hand assuring him that there was nothing to lose. The sad part is that ALOT of Nigerians that would have done exactly like Faruk Lawan are the 1st to judge him.

We have all jumped into the arrest Faruk Lawan and forgotten who the main theif is.

Have we arrested Otedola who ADMITTED he gave the bribe?

Why did he have marked dollar bills? Why was it videoed? Was he investigating Faruk Lawan? Is he part of the SSS?

If it's a set-up does it count as definitely bribery or was he manipulated into taking the bribe?

I think Nigerians need to take a step back and think with what's between their ears because in my honest opinion Faruk Lawan is part of the few Nigerians brave enough to take up the case against these thieves and was caught being human in the middle.

Lets not forget the N2.6 trillion and pick on N98 million.

2 comments:

  1. That would be putting the cart before the horse. From all parts of the country we all adored Farouk and thought he was one of the few upright ones (Mr. Integrity?). Alas, he's no different. Please don't allow us cover such large-scale fraud simply for sentimental attachment.
    Farouk initially denied and thereafter when shown irrefutable proofs changed story. What has become of the $612,000? It's not even coming out again. We have a host of rogues in that system, all covering up for each other.
    On Otedola, I initially felt like you on him, but the fact that he spoke with derision while addressing the House Panel 'You can see that I am not as hungry as you...' and that indeed his firm was dropped at the reading of affected oil firms after the bribe taking shows you the version that is more credible. Please don't allow anyone cover your eyes with wool and let us not use sentiments to support the wrong choice.
    Yes every crook (local & multinational) should be made to account for N2.6 trillion loot, but equally Farouk and his cohorts should be brought to justice, after all there may have been more rogues he collected bribe from and left off the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I stumbled across this blog and like most of what you have written but I think you are a Northerner first and then a Nigerian. You may not be aware of it but it is there.
    And I think you misunderstood the GEJ is not the problem thing. What I read it as is that it takes a concerted effort to right things in Nigeria. It starts with the ordinary Nigerian.

    ReplyDelete